Horizon Network

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Horizon Network

Horizon Network

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Personal Empowerment

+3
Admin
robinshapiro
Joe Boy
7 posters

Uplifting & Positive News Stories

Joe Boy
    Joe Boy

Uplifting & Positive News Stories Empty Uplifting & Positive News Stories

Post  Joe Boy Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:22 am

SALT LAKE CITY — Meg Johnson gazes at her right hand with absolute delight — like it's the first time she has seen it — as she begins to list the many reasons why she's thankful for her little finger.

Let's see, she says: She's thankful for skin, and she's thankful for fingernail clippers and nail polish and manicures and massages and eating peanut butter out of the jar and holding hands with her husband.

And she's thankful for skin tone and wrinkles and lotion and platelets and Band-Aids and rings and buttons to push and blood and circulatory systems.

She could go on. She has gone on. One day, she sat down at her laptop and started typing the reasons she's grateful for her little finger. She got to 275. In five minutes.

This is all the more remarkable because of the condition of Meg's right little finger.

She can't move it.

Six years ago, when she was 22, Meg fell off a 35-foot cliff while boulder jumping near St. George. She broke both legs, both wrists and four bones in her neck. She's been paralyzed from the neck down ever since, with only very limited movement in her arms and hands, and no movement at all in her right little finger.

The experience has turned her into an expert on gratitude.

Her personal, self-guided tutorial on being grateful dates back to the early days of what could euphemistically be termed her "recovery."

After interminable rounds of surgeries doctors had performed to rescue her from dying, she woke up one morning in her hospital bed.

She had a tube in her nose for feeding, a tube in her arm for hydration, a tube in her chest to drain her lungs, still more tubes bringing in medication and a halo brace holding her head still. She also had a tube in her throat so she could inhale and exhale. She couldn't even breathe on her own.

After that split second it takes your brain to remind you where things stand — and they're not good — despair washed over her. She started to cry, then she started to sob.

Then something, from somewhere, clicked inside that warned her she was doomed if this mood persisted. Instead of focusing on what she wasn't thankful for, she needed to concentrate on what she was thankful for.

"I opened my eyes, and the first thing I saw was the ceiling," Meg remembers. "I said to myself, I love that ceiling. I looked out the window, and I said, I love that window and I love that car and I love the sky and I love the clouds …"

"It was so liberating," she says of the gratitude tour her mind took her on that day. "By the time I got back to me, I was happy for me."

Several months later, when she was finally out of the hospital and learning to type by sticking pens between her fingers and stabbing away at the keyboard (don't laugh, she's up to 60 words a minute), it was a piece of cake to bat out those 275 reasons why she's grateful for an immovable little finger.

It all comes down to perspective, to being thankful for life.

In the years since her accident, Meg has gotten married — "My husband's a rock," she says, and don't even get her started on all the reasons she's thankful for him — and she's equipped a car so she can drive and live a life of relative independence.

She's also become a sought-after inspirational speaker and a sympathetic ear for anyone and everyone with a disability. "We all have disabilities," she says, "and please, please believe me when I say that my disabilities, as hard as they are, are not any worse than yours!" She has a Web site, www.MegJohnsonSpeaks.com, where she posts monthly messages of motivation.

Sometimes she gets paid for her speeches. But much of the time, she talks for free to church and school groups, where more often than not, she tells about gratitude and her little finger.

I asked her what the typical audience response is to her little finger story.

"People are very quiet after I say that," she says.

Thinking up their own lists, no doubt. Cool
    robinshapiro
    robinshapiro

Uplifting & Positive News Stories Empty Re: Uplifting & Positive News Stories

Post  robinshapiro Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:51 pm

Wow....great story. Thanks for sharing this..I need to remind myself daily of the many things I have to be grateful for....
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:20 pm

Awesome! Thanks what an inspiration.....you just never know when a message is going to appear right in front of you.

Love you all Tons!
    jpetescape
    jpetescape

Post  jpetescape Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:44 am

Thank you, Joe. This is a pretty amazing women. I am so grateful for all of me. My fat (cuz it keeps me warm pig ), my wrinkles (cuz they make me look smarter geek ), and my unruly curly hair (cuz it gives me volume instead of flat afro ). Love and Light my friend.
    Ittie Bittie Crittie
    Ittie Bittie Crittie

Post  Ittie Bittie Crittie Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:57 am

She is really amazing and such a beautiful girl too.
    Thanks for sharing that story with us, she is an inspiration to all and really makes me appreciate what I have in my life.
    Thank goodness people like that share their experiences with us, sure helps me feel gratitude.
    Nameste'
    Ittie Bittie Crittie
    Ittie Bittie Crittie

Uplifting & Positive News Stories Empty The Knots Prayer

Post  Ittie Bittie Crittie Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:13 pm

Cindy suggested I read this at group, but I'm going to just post it here in case you haven't heard it.

The Knots Prayer

Dear God:
    Please untie the knots
    that are in my mind
    my heart and my life.
    Remove the have not,
    the can nots and the do nots
    that I have in my mind.
    Erase the will nots,
    may nots,
    might nots and
    should nots that obstruct my life.
    And most of all
    Dear God,
    I ask that you remove from my mind,
    my heart and my life all of the 'am nots'
    that I have allowed to hold me back,
    especially the thought
    that I am not good enough.
    Amen.

Author known to God
    robynnk
    robynnk

Post  robynnk Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:19 pm

I am so glad you posted that. It is a powerful message that I needed to be reminded of.
    BtrflySpirit17
    BtrflySpirit17

Post  BtrflySpirit17 Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:24 pm

Wow, that's a beautiful woman, to be so grateful for life after that. It's very inspiring, and I truly am grateful for everything in my life Smile

LOL Julie Bully! So funny... lol! I'm really glad your thankful for those things.

And Mom, that's a great poem/prayer sunny I love you

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:18 pm